Thursday, August 28, 2008

Young artists peddle their talent on a quiet Colombo Street


In the heart of the city of Colombo on a relatively quiet and wide roadway, where its formal Art Gallery is located in a picturesque setting, one finds creations of immense talent on canvass. These paintings mostly acrylic on canvass and some oils on canvass display the artistry of the painters who are personally present explaining their creations to the keen visitors. To the widely travelled tourist or those coming from Europe it may be a reminder of Montmartre in the outskirts of Paris.

At this informal, makeshift gallery in the open air, one young artist Thushara has been exhibiting his paintings for over four years. Travelling nearly 30 kilo metres to Colombo bringing his canvasses rolled up and mounting them on chip board frames he speaks proudly of his creations. “Painting is my life. I paint abstract and real life stills too. My inspiration is my surrounding. I use my brush to express my feelings. I come every Monday the rest of the week, I am at the easel at home in the village.” He continued to add “These paintings may not be master pieces but they bring joy to those who buy them and are a positive reminder of life in Sri Lanka”. Others like Thushara are students at the nearby School of Art affiliated to the University. To them this is a dual opportunity of exhibiting their work and earning the much needed funds to continue as students of art.

No comments: